Saturday, March 1, 2014

Inspirations Part Three: Works of Art

Molly provided services as a muse to more than just Bruce. Many people have made artwork of Molly-the-Dog.

Photographs

During a photo shoot so protracted that even the dog began to wonder, I got these shots of Molly. They were featured in her first Christmas card.  


Handicrafts

Bruce's Mom made a hooked rag rug with a portrait of Molly. 


Fine Art

Sherree Clark drew a pastel portrait of a giant green Molly standing astride the Allan Gardens.


Shattered Glass, Ceramic and Grout

Sudarshan Deshmukh immortalized Molly in a mosaic.



Festive Baubles

Kathy MacRow painted a Christmas ornament with the dog's portrait on it.



Posthumous

Even with all of these many representations of Molly already in hand, I commissioned this portrait from Trenton artist Mandy Bing after we sent the dog on to her next reward. The pose is taken from a photo of Molly hunting squirrels in the tree tops from the comfort of Bruce's lap. The background is from the photo I really wanted turned into a portrait (see below).



Constant Reminders

I love all of the works of Molly-art and most of them hang in my home (and some day soon, the Molly rug will, too). 

The "Look Both Ways" photos are in the second floor bathroom; I face the mosaic when I sit at the dining room table. I see Giant Green Molly every time I go down the stairs from the dining room to the kitchen. Mandy's version of the dog waits for me every morning as I come down the stairs from our bedroom.

When Molly was still alive, I'd look at the works made during her life - especially the mosaic - and think, "these will be here after Molly is gone." I wondered then how it would feel to look at them without a live little JRT roaming around at my feet.

It feels OK.

Now it's time to turn this narrative to the signs that Molly would soon stop roaming around my feet

Karen



No comments: